3.07.2011

Delicious Pimento Cheese

This Pimento Cheese is a delicious recipe from Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook and is a southern favorite. I had never tasted such amazing and naturally tasting pimento cheese spread in all my life. I ate pimento cheese on crackers all through high school, so when I saw this recipe I thought I might make it just for sentimental value, but then I realized how good pimento cheese could actually be. The last three times I have made this, I have enjoyed it on toasted bread and with other picnic items. I recently enjoyed it on a picnic at The Getty in Los Angles. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have!

Pimento Cheese

Makes 2 cups: enough for 12 people for grazing

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper
3 cups of finally grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) softened cream cheese, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Turn on the broiler. I like to use my toaster oven for this. Place the pepper on its side on the toaster tray or dry skillet and slide it under the broiler until the skin blackens on the side facing up, about 3 minutes. With tongs, turn the pepper so that an unblackened side faces up, and repeat until the skin is blackened on all sides. The pepper will start to softened and lose its shape. Place the pepper in a small bowl, cover it, and let it steam for 5 minutes as it cools down.

2. Uncover the bowl. When the pepper is cool enough to handle, transfer it to a cutting board, reserving any liquid in the bowl. Remove the blackened skin with your fingers and discard. using a paring knife, cut open the pepper, remove and discard the stem and seeds, and chop the pepper into 1/4-inch dice. you should have about a 1/2 cup.

3. Place the grated cheddar in a medium bowl and add the cream cheese pieces, the mayonnaise,the diced red pepper and its liquid, and the red pepper flakes, distributing them evenly over the cheese. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, blend the ingredients together until the spread is thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

4. Transfer the pimento cheese to a plastic container or bowl, cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator. Pimento cheese keeps in the refrigerator for 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment